Searcher Natural History Tours offers an exciting 5-day pelagic trip to bird the offshore ABA waters of Southern California.
Where we go
Travelling north over the nine-mile bank, weaving through the Channel Islands, and continuing past Point Conception to the Arguello Canyon, Rodriguez Dome, San Juan Seamount, and seamounts far offshore, we bird along the 2,000-fathom line and wherever else the birds take us.
A history of stellar sightings
September trips since 2003 have amassed an amazing list of species seen: Black-footed Albatross, Northern Fulmar, Murphy’s Petrel, Cook’s Petrel, Hawaiian Petrel, Flesh-footed Shearwater, Buller’s Shearwater, Pink-Footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater, Black-vented Shearwater, Least Storm-Petrel, Leach’s Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, Red-necked Phalarope, Red Phalarope, South Polar Skua, Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Long-tailed Jaeger, Sabine’s Gull, Arctic Tern, Pigeon Guillemot, Common Murre, Cassin’s Auklet, Rhinoceros Auklet. The southern waters off the coast of San Diego are the best areas in the ABA area to look for Xantus’s (both races) and Craveri’s Murrelets.
In addition, September is an excellent time to see the regular assortment of fall migrant seabirds that have made California famous including South Polar Skua, all three species of jaegers, Buller’s, Pink-footed and Sooty Shearwaters and Black-footed Albatrosses.
Variety is the spice of the pelagic
Our expeditions find rarities and mega-rarities on nearly every trip. The diverse array of species is a result of a diverse itinerary: from near-shore to islands to the edge of the deep-water Continental Shelf.
While our primary focus will be on birds, there’s also a chance to see several species of whales including blue, fin, humpback, beaked, orca, and sperm whales; several species of dolphins; and an array of fishes.
Pelagic Birding Trip Reports
- Pelagic Birding Trip Sightings List - September 2014
- Pelagic Birding Trip Report Sept. 5-9, 2011
- Pelagic Birding Sightings List, September, 2010
- Pelagic Birding Tour Report by Terry Hunefeld
- Life Aboard a Pelagic Birding Tour
- Sept 6-10 Pelagic Birding Trip Success
- Pelagic Birding Tour Sept. 1-5, 2008
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report June 2-6, 2008
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Sep 3-7 2007
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Apr 14-18, 2007
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Sep 4-8, 2006
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Apr 26-30, 2006
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Sep 5-9, 2005
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Apr 13-17, 2005
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Sept. 8 - 12, 2004
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Apr 28 - May 2, 2004
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Apr 21 - 25, 2004
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Sep 4-7, 2003
- Pelagic Birding Tour Trip Report Apr 24-28, 2003
- Pelagic Birding Trip Sightings List, April 17-21, 2003